grilled peaches + honey
Summer is officially here y’all! That means grilling outside with family and friends, spending downtime at any body of water we can find (i.e. pool, lake, beach etc) and enjoying some seasonal treats together. One of my all-time favorite things about summer in the South is fresh peaches! I’ll take any chance I can get to incorporate them into meals. Usually I add them into baked goods, but Trent and I have been looking for healthier, lighter dessert options so we can stay on track with our eating.
Trent has an obsession with grilling (which is only heightened during summer) so naturally we tried throwing them on with our chicken the other night. Oh my goodness, they turned out so good! It’s a really simple recipe that will help satisfy your sweet tooth. If you want to jazz it up, I highly suggest serving it with vanilla bean ice cream. However, the goal here was to keep it light so we drizzled our grilled peaches with local honey, a shake of cinnamon, and some fresh basil for an extra little layer of flavor. I used fresh South Carolina peaches for this recipe, but you can use whatever is local to you. Just make sure they have ripened. Below is the recipe. Hope y’all enjoy!
Olive Oil (you can use another oil, but it must be liquefied)
- Cut peaches in half, removing the pits.
- Brush the inside of each peach half with olive oil or another oil of your choosing.
- Place cut-side down on the grill for 3 minutes over medium heat. Rotate the peaches 90 degrees about halfway through.
- Brush the outside of each half with oil, then flip peaches and grill skin-side down over indirect heat for an additional 3 minutes.
- After peaches are removed from the grill, immediately sprinkle the desired amount of cinnamon on top. I like to do a light-to-medium dusting on mine, but it’s all based on how much you like cinnamon!
- Drizzle in a zig-zag motion across each peach half and top with fresh basil leaves. I used small basil leaves, so I left them whole. However, if you have larger pieces I recommend chopping or cutting the basil so you can get a piece with each bite!
- Serve the grilled peaches hot by themselves or with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream!